Welcome to Fifth Grade Language Arts!
I am so pleased to teach your child this year. Please use this website in order to access your child's weekly homework as well as for additional supplements that parents and students can use for homework help or information regarding my class. If you need to contact me, please email nrcn_westove [at] tccsa [dot] net with any questions.
Mrs. Karen Westover
5th Grade Language Arts Teacher
Week of May 6-10
This week we are starting a chapter book, Maniac Magee by Jerry Spinelli. Each student has been given a May reading calendar with the number of pages to be read each day. Students also have comprehension questions to answer with each day's reading.
Monday: Field Trip!
Tuesday: Maniac Magee Chapters 22-26 and comprehension questions, interview due next Tuesday
Wednesday: Maniac Magee Chapters 27-32 and comprehension questions
Thursday: Maniac Magee Chapters 33-36 and comprehension questions
Friday: Maniac Magee Chapters 37-41 and comprehension questions
If your child is participating in the Young Author's Conference, please make sure they bring a sack lunch with their name on it to school on Friday. We will return to school at about 2:30.
Week of May 20-24
Monday: Maniac Magee Chapters 42-46 and comprehension questions, interview due tomorrow
Tuesday: Today we will share the interviews with the class and also do a review of the book. There will not be a study guide with this test. Students will be allowed to use their book on the test.
Wednesday: Shortened classes due to the spelling bee. I will review the spelling bee rules in class. The spelling bee is at 1:00.
Thursday: Maniac Magee Test
Friday: Habitat Garden day - in my class, students will be performing plays related to science concept.
Week of May 27-31
Monday: No School, Memorial Day
Tuesday: Track and Field Day - Bring sunscreen, sunglassess, a water bottle with your name on it, and a towel to sit on. If it is raining, we will have our awards today at 1:00 instead of tomorrow.
Wednesday: Last day of school! Track and Field raindate. 5th grade awards 1:00 in the gym.
Have a great summer!!!!!
May 13th - Field Trip to the Cleveland Natural History Museum
May 17th - Young Author's Conference
May 22nd - 4th/5th Grade Spelling Bee - High School Auditorium 1:00 P.M.
May 28th - Track and Field Day
May 29th - Last Day of School, 5th Grade Awards
Websites for Students Practice of 5th Grade Language Arts Skills
Commonly Used Sites for 5th Grade Language Arts
1) Pearson Success Net (Reading Street website) This website will lead you to an online version of our reading textbook. Please be aware that the stories are often not complete online due to copyright issues, so don't forget to bring home your book if you are reading the story! Students have a username and password in their GATOR.
2) Reading Street Review website This website provides great PowerPoint presentations to review the concepts and vocabulary that go along with each story.
Links for information about the Common Core Curriculum adopted by the state of Ohio and to be used in 2013-2014, as well as our current fifth grade standards.
1) Common Core Standards Website Provides the standards and student samples of expectations to go with them.
2) PARCC This website is created by the those who will be creating the new assessments with the common core standards. There are samples of the assessments online.
3) ODE This is the Ohio Department of Education website. It includes all the current standards, past online OAA tests, and information regarding the new standards.
4) Common Core Placemats This link includes a PDF file of a placemat-sized version of the common core standards by grade level that is very parent-friendly.